Monday, January 6, 2014

Gingerbread House Day

For the last day of school before winter break Taylor brought her teacher and the kinder helper a surprise.  She was so excited to wear her pajamas to school and watch polar express.
 I never get that great of pictures but Tyson's class had a party and I was in charge.  We played a white elephant game which the kids loved or hated (depending on what they got), made gingerbread houses and played a Christmas trivia game which was hilarious.  A few questions made the kids sing the next line of a Christmas song, so funny!  Some of the kids had never played white elephant which I was surprised about. They could not understand the concept of "gag gift". They kept asking me if it would make them gag.  Some examples of my "gag gifts"  were applesauce and a plastic spoon in a nice fancy box & a stick of gum wrapped up nice.  The funniest gift that wasn't a gag gift went to a boy named Anthony.  It was a package of sparkly girl pencils.  Everyone laughed and laughed.  Poor Anthony!  Another sad part was poor Leon. He has special needs and got so upset by his gift(a penguin craft) he started bawling and had to be removed.
 On the houses I was stressed! I am a little bit of a perfectionist and wanted Tyson's class to have the most amazing houses in the school. (I'm a little too competitive too :)  I talked a public school lunch lady into selling me milk cartoons.  It is totally against the rules but I assured her it was for a school project.  I just left out which school :)  I emptied all the milk into a gallon jug, washed the cartons, and then glued them shut and to a paper plate.  I also made all the frosting and put them into individual ziploc bags.  I wish I had taken pictures of my kitchen covered in all the materials for Tyson's class, it was awesome.
 The party was probably the funnest one yet! I love how the kids know Tyson's Mom means party time. That is meant in the elementary school party sense not real parties :)  I was very worried about the frosting and had done several timed tests to see how it would hold up and had several people taste it. I thought it was yummy but you never know about kids.  The funniest part was how many of the kids we caught trying to eat the frosting straight out of their bags instead of using it on their houses.  I am very worried about one girl named Mercy, she was a crazy frosting eater. We may have started her down a wrong path of sneaky frosting eating.
 Two kids were absent and missed all the action which meant the party kept going when we all got home.  Hayden and Taylor loved getting to do something the big kids had done.

 Taylor took all the candy she had gotten from her Christmas party at school and decorated her house with it.  Gotta be an original!
 Ryan is always in on the action, especially if candy is involved!  I can never take just one picture of this ham, here is her yuck face.
 Here is asking for more candy face.
 Being shy.
 In your face face.
Super fun day!  Totally worth the stress and craziness :)

3 comments:

  1. maybe that is why i hate white elephant gifts too- i got the worst one my very first time and have hated them since.

    you are such the fun mom!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! Had to be removed had me cracking up! We did a book exchange in Jacksons class, and it's a long story but I unwittingly made a boy cry. It will haunt me for years!

    I always wonder about the kids that obsessively eat frosting or cookies or treats during parties. Do they not get them at home? Or do they get them all of the time so have no way of stopping? There was one girl in Jacksons class who kept coming back for cookies. I have no idea how she scarfed so many down. I was concerned!

    Kellie: Mom Of The Year-8 years running

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kellie you need to change your name to "Kellie the Super party mom"

    ReplyDelete