Sunday, August 25, 2013

Football

Tyson has started his first tackle football season!
 We had quite a bit of drama over here on Friday.  We got a call that even though we signed up and paid our money months ago.  The team has been practicing since July and we needed to buy all of the gear and get to practice that night from 6pm-8pm and then again on Saturday from 8am-11am.  The people were so rude and horrible on the phone, they told me I should go to "the doc shop, somewhere on Lindell and Sahra" to buy all the gear.  Google didn't come up with any results, the yellow and white pages had nothing about a doc shop.  So off I blindly drove with 4 kids in tow.
I got to the corner of Sahara and Lindell and started panicking until I drove a little farther and saw a store called the "Jock Shop". (I honestly asked her the name 3 times)  They had a sign out front saying, "We sell football gear".  We went in with fingers crossed and found this amazing guy who measured Tyson and fitted him with everything he will need.  Tyson didn't stop smiling the whole time we were there.  He is so excited!  I think if it hadn't been for this amazing salesman I would have told Tyson sorry, but we aren't going to do football this time.  I was a bit overwhelmed but this guy made it all so easy. (Not cheap, but easy :)
 The problem with demanding all the gear and telling us about a practice that night was that I had plans already and was babysitting.  I called a good friend and she took him over for practice Friday night until I could get there.  Turns out the football team he is on is actually 4 teams.  The Ducks have 4 divisions and all the kids who are in the 4 divisions who are returning have been practicing since July.  The first game isn't until September 21st and Ty will have weeks of practice.  Also they aren't even practicing with full gear yet.  Tyson is just so excited he wants to wear his helmet all through practice.  (I could actually kill the lady who called me)
 These are pictures of his second practice.  I thought he would go to these 2 and 3 hour practices and tell me it's not for him but he loves it so far. And even though I am furious at the lady who called and at the company who don't run things very smoothly, I was thinking I am glad we didn't have to give up July and most of August sitting in the heat practicing.
 This is Tyson's favorite part of practice he tells me.  He loves to run and hit the coaches.  He is all boy :)
 He is working on backward running and he really hates this crab crawling they have to do.  He told me I should buy him some gloves so it doesn't hurt his hands.  I told him the coach isn't going to wait for you to put on gloves, he'd probably make you run laps just for trying.
 Tyson is scared to make the coach mad.  He doesn't want to run extra laps :)  One kid moved the coach's cone and got a lap. 
 He is dying to wear his gear and padded pants.  Such a goof!
This is our life this fall, 4 practices a week and somehow we are also going to fit church soccer in too.  Can you believe they don't practice on Thursday nights?  Of all the luck :)  Yeah for football!!

5 comments:

  1. sound like fun, of course there is always one bad apple in every batch.

    I just hope your coach is good with the boys and has a clean month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the bravest mom! I am too wimpy to watch my kids get tackled. I'm glad Tyson loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I won't allow my boys to do two sports: Football and Wrestling! I am a mean mean mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again I am awed by your sports commitment. If my kids had 4, multiple hour practices a week you would have to put me in a crazy house.

    I really, really dislike unpleasant people! And I would be scared of the coach making me run laps too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AHHHHHHH!!!!! good luck! it looks intense!

    ReplyDelete