Saturday, May 23, 2009

birthdays are for the birds

Well it is official I am in my 30's. I have already posted on how sucky Mother's day was and as I get ready to post on my birthday. I wonder if I am just a negative person so I am going to do a good/bad list and let you decide. To show I am trying to be positive we will start with the good:
-I got a lovely new camera, our old one is pretty trashed.
-I also got a pair of new house phones, so I can talk longer than 5 minutes without them dying on me.
-I got the cake I wanted from Costco.
-We went to see Night at the Museum which was fun.
-I finally went to Home Depot to buy the paint for my house.

Now the bad list:
-I wake at 5:50am to go about my daily routine of getting the guys up and ready for work, while my husband can't even think of giving me a break on my birthday.
-When he finally does get his butt out of bed(2 hours later), he states(and I quote),"I've got a gift for you do you want it wrapped?"
-So already in a bad mood I open my gifts, which are lovely, but kind of for the whole family. (When does that happen when you start getting household gifts for your special occasions? I have a personality, dang it! What's next, a vacuum for Christmas? Pots and pans for Valentines?)
-I went to Home Depot because I have been begging for Jason to help me buy paint for the house and I figure I'll do it on my birthday, because then I will have less of a fight from him. So there we were on my "special" day with everyone and their dog trying to get deals on paint.
-Have I mentioned that my kids woke up this day possessed by some evil monsters. I didn't even know who these kids were. So keep in mind throughout Home Depot they are being ridiculous. 2 hours later, 25 fights with Jason later, and with 18 gallons of paint, we leave.
Folks, this is all before lunch! The rest of the day was more of the same. I won't bore you any more with the details. Next year I am NOT, I repeat NOT having a birthday. I will be 30 forever. Dang, I should have canceled them last year and then I would be 29 forever. Dang.
Sorry for no pictures. It was such an ugly day I did not want it captured on film. Thank you to all the nice people who were kind on my "special" day. You are officially excused from this chore next year.

6 comments:

  1. Dang I am so sorry I didn't wish you a happy birthday! Sorry it didn't go so well. Your blog is so funny though! I am totally taking you to lunch next week for your birthday! I am going to call you Monday to plan something, we are going out of town Thursday so hopefully you can do something before then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laying in bed after 9 last night when I realized I did not call you!!! I am so sorry- it was a crazy day here. Birthdays are the worst!!! And yes, I do get household things for holidays- only because I ask for them! I can't justify spending what I want for knives or other things unless it is a special occasion!
    What color paint did you get? Have you started painting? I'll call you and get the details!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm telling you...birthday's aren't that great anymore. The key is to leave your family at home and celebrate with friends! I did that on my 30th and we had a blast. Husbands and kids just don't get it!!!!
    I feel bad I didn't call-I remembered at the beginning of the week and then yesterday I had a doozy of a day with a migraine so it was a crazy blur of a day for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are hilarious, welcome to 30! I agree with Rachael, it's much more fun to go out with friends on a birthday, because at home you are still the mom. Perhaps we need to have a re-birthday for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You crack me up :-) I got solar lights for our front yard for our first anniversary and I had to be 100% clear with Karl that on birthdays and anniversaries, I need something for ME rather than a family gift. For me Christmas ia litle different because then we can get something that we normally wouldn't buy for ourselves any other time of the year. I totally think you should talk to Jason and tell him that on your birthday you get to wake up two hours later than him :-) I agree with Rachel, let's do a do-over!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have had to lower my expectations on birthdays, Valentines Day, and Anniversaries because I can't take the disappointment when things don't go exactly how I have envisioned them. I'm sorry I didn't wish you a Happy Birthday. I will definitely put in on my calendar for next year.

    ReplyDelete