Thursday, April 9, 2009

genealogy

So, Jason and I were asked to be a part of a family history Sunday school class. Jason teaches primary and has Mark and Darrell with him at church so he can't attend but I went the week before conference. I know I'm a nerd but it was totally awesome. They told us about this work the church is doing called indexing. I'm sure it's been around a while but I just discovered it. The church is taking all the old census records and having people volunteer and try to decipher them and put them into an easy format for people to research their ancestors. So a little background on me. My Dad, who I rarely talk about and haven't seen or heard from in over 18 years, was a convert. His Dad was Russian and his Mom was Mexican. No work has been done at all. My father is no longer a member of the church and there is no way to get information from him. I got my patriarchal blessing when I was 17 and it has a HUGE emphasis on genealogy. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters all of whom have had patriarchal blessings. Well I went to every one of my siblings blessings waiting for them to be told they as well have a ton of work to do with our genealogy. 4 blessings, not a word about genealogy! So I have two "books" they're more like papers stapled together, of names of my Russian ancestors, combined they have over 2000 names. NO DATES! So I have gone to the census microfilm and tried to find "about" dates on some of the names, it is tedious to say the least. That's why I am so excited about indexing. I got an account with family search and then registered to volunteer and have done 250 names so far, it's awesome! The names I've done aren't from my lines, they're from somewhere in Missouri. I just know the more I volunteer and help the quicker the work will be done, and maybe someone out there is working on my family! So if you get a chance check out familysearch.org you'll need your member id number from your ward clerk and the date you were confirmed. Genealogy is not just for the old timers anymore! There is too much work for their old bones to do!

3 comments:

  1. I too have got on the indexing wagon. I feelo like I am doing my share, and I am enjoying it. I'm sure that the answers to your genealogy questions will come as you do for others. Have fun - sounds like the responsibility is going to be on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No way! How is it I NEVER knew you were part Mexican?!?! I'll be nice and not make any housekeeper jokes....(maybe) Ah! I can tell Tyson to go mow my lawn now!!! Too much fun! I will be nice!
    So happy you are excited for genealogy; mine also said a ton about it!(Haven't done much....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just needed to get a little farther to see how that Russian geneology is going! I'm so glad to hear that your taking the class. Yeah! It's too much fun and someday your going to find thousands of dates, and be living at the temple trying to get the work done! I need to get back into it, it's been a while.

    ReplyDelete