Wednesday, August 5, 2009

$100 cucumber

This is my planter box. Jason's dad built it for us last year. A little back story, Jason's dad is a great gardener and lives in Napa California were things grow like crazy. He built us a garden 5 years ago at our old house and it died a horrible, neglected death (at our hands). So this time I decide I will really try to garden. I went to the gardening enrichment, I got a book, and really tried to plant things that would grow well in Vegas. As you can see everything is dead or dying except for this one crazy bush. I thought it was lettuce. It keeps growing these lovely flowers and then they shrivel and die.
Then Tyson decides to throw the wheelbarrow on top of my one plant. It broke a few leaves and things and when I go to get the wheelbarrow off of it. I find a cucumber!!!

I tried to calculate how much this 1 cucumber cost. The dirt, seeds and watering system cost a bit over $100. So here it is: my $100 cucumber. I just don't think it was worth it.

10 comments:

  1. Wow! I've never seen a cucumber bush grow like that. Mine are just are a few scraggly leaves. FYI, from what I hear, the flowers turn into cucumbers, so if you could keep them alive, you might get two $50 cucumbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stupid Vegas heat makes everything impossible unless you're a freaking gardening genius! I hope the cucumber is yummy at least!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never been able to get past that they have roots and for some reason that freaks me out so I do not have a garden! AND- my family would never eat what I planted- so it would be a double waste! Good luck in this heat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That better be one tasty cucumber!!! This year we decided to not do a garden...we had a weed garden there for awhile...now its just a dirt garden!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would savor every bite of that cucumber! Looks nice and healthy. Let me know if you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At least you tried! Gardening just seems to take so much time, that I am not willing to spend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Weren't you excited when you say that "one" cucumber! Maybe next year you'll get 2! Don't give up!!! There's nothing like eating home grown veggies. It just takes a little time and patience. Love you guys!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. its not a zucchini? We had great tomatoes this year, but everything else died, the squash and zucchini would flower but not produce anything. Try tomatoes in the fall!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome job on your garden!! That 1 cucumber looks great :)

    ReplyDelete