Friday, July 5, 2013

Book of Mormon Challenge

In March at our stake conference our Stake President challenged the stake to read the Book of Mormon by July 1st.  I'm not a big fan of these challenges and I don't even attend Stake Conference as a rule, but for some reason I jumped on this one. We kept a fun bubble tracker that the kids filled out daily.  We were suppose to read 2 chapters a day.  At the end we were reading 12 a day to catch up but we made it!  I would have the phone playing the Book of Mormon while we ate breakfast every morning.  They were a captive audience and it was quiet while they were eating.
 One thing our family loves to do is go down the street to old Bob's Market and get Thrifty ice cream.  In the middle of the Book of Mormon challenge I told the kids that if we can get thru it we will go and get triple scoops of ice cream at Bob's.  It gave us the motivation to carry on :)
 One problem was three scoops of ice cream is a lot to pack away in one sitting.  And it is July, yesterday it was still over 100 degrees after midnight.  This is Hayden with only one scoop.
 Those cones were melting like crazy, it was a huge mess but still fun.
For my three scoops I got Rocky Road, Chocolate Malted Crunch, and Brownie Madness, crazy chocolate overload but I totally earned it.  It was rough going a lot of the time.  I won't lie, there were meltdowns, tears, and even some swearing but we did it!  Next I have a plan to have the kids draw the stories from the Book of Mormon and read a bit more slowly.  We'll see how it goes :)

3 comments:

  1. I really enjoy how Thrifty's uses the square scoops. I find them cute.

    Way to complete the challenge! In the last 5 years I think I have completed at least 10 challenges(possibly a slight exagerration) and I refused to do one more! I just couldn't face it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Kellie that's quite the accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete