Saturday, June 14, 2014

Shark Reef field trip

Tyson's class has been learning a ton about sharks and under water habitats.  They ended the year with a field trip to the Shark Reef.  
 The kids were in heaven!
 They knew almost every answer the tour guide asked.  We had a great guide, Steve, who was super funny & knowledgeable.  I would never go to the shark reef on my own. A personal tour guide is the only way to go.  The problem is, now Tyson has decided on his career path: tour guide at shark reef. (I guess one of my questions should have been, "How much do you make a year Steve?"
 We saw a Kimono dragon.
 He was huge!
 Could you imagine having these huge fish? Crazy!
 Enthralled!





 It was so fun to touch the sting rays. I love that my kids will participate.
 I had never seen jelly fish up close.  They were awesome.  I think if I had some in my home I wouldn't get anything done and I would just sit and stare at them all day.
 The kids loved seeing lion fish.  They had read a report all about them and how they are hurting the eco system in the Pacific Ocean.  People are getting them as pets from Asia and then releasing them into the ocean.  They eat tons and cannot be killed by other predators because of the poison they secrete.  Only sharks can eat them and not be affected by their poison.
 We were taken into a back room and given a quick quiz about all we had learned.  We also got to "create" our own underwater creature.  We gave him all the different things that make underwater animals unique.  Eric was the creature, it was hysterical!
After the quiz and fun the kids were allowed to handle a bunch of different objects.
Super fun field trip.  The best part was spending time with my favorite boy!!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds like an awesome field trip. One of my favorite things about Somerset is the amount/quality of field trips the kids get to take.

    I have always resisted going to the Shark Reef because I had heard from others that it wasn't worth the price of admission, but it looks totally cool.

    I would actually be VERY INTERESTED in the yearly tour guide salary.

    ReplyDelete